Metallica in Perth (22/23 Oct)

A day before my birthday, Metallica came to town (they also played another show on my birthday, but originally it was just 1 night). Whilst I'm not the biggest Metallica listener these days, I still occasionally listen to their stuff. These guys are the reason why I got into metal music.

CB and I got there just before doors opening at 6pm. We got to our seats (out in the sticks), and listened through the support bands. I wasn't a big fan of them, and the sound was very muddy, and wasn't very clear.

8pm rolled along and Ecstasy Of Gold started playing. This was it. Metallica were about to take the stage. They played through a mix of old and new, here's what was played:

October 22
01. That Was Just Your Life
02. The End Of The Line
03. For Whom The Bell Tolls
04. Fuel
05. Fade To Black
06. Broken, Beat And Scarred
07. The Four Horsemen
08. Sad But True
09. The Unforgiven
10. All Nightmare Long
11. One
12. Master Of Puppets
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman

Encore:
16. Breadfan (Budgie cover)
17. Hit The Lights
18. Seek & Destroy


October 23
01. That Was Just Your Life
02. Cyanide
03. Harvester Of Sorrow
04. Disposable Heroes
05. One
06. Through The Never
07. My Apocalypse
08. Sad But True
09. No Leaf Clover
10. Orion
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Master Of Puppets
13. Fight Fire With Fire
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman

Encore:
16. Stone Cold Crazy (Queen cover)
17. Whiplash
18. Seek & Destroy
The sound was muddy to begin with, but after awhile, the sound guys got it mostly right. It was loud, heavy, and on slower songs, the sound was crisp. When the songs got faster, it was a little muddled but still good. Metallica put on a great show on the first night, the crowd were going nuts, some of them were even climbing up on the support towers.


All in all, a really good show and I'm glad I went. I would've loved to hear some songs on the second night too. It's funny that I hadn't heard some of these songs in years but still manage to know the words. I still don't know some words from Gamma Ray whom I listen to more frequently these days..

If Metallica manage to come back to Perth again, I'll be up for another round for sure.

No comments: