Local retro gaming prices

I've been purchasing a fair amount of old games (8 - 16 bit era) lately and my usual go to is eBay. Looking on Amazon, the US prices for old second hand games are cheap, although a lot on Amazon won't ship internationally. I've thought of using a proxy shipper (who collect packages domestically in the US and consolidate into one big package) but I don't like their fee structures. So I generally try and purchase a bunch of games from one seller to get discounted shipping on eBay.

I've heard of a few retro gaming places in Perth, theres actually one in the markets near home. CB and I decided to have a look yesterday, whilst their range isn't bad (there were a few games which I wanted), their prices were really really inflated.

Case in point, Super Famicom (Japanese Super Nintendo) Super Bomberman 2 was $35. How much did I pay this morning? Before eBay's 20% discount code (for today only), $10 AUD delivered from Japan.

Donkey Kong Country 1 was up there too, I just paid about $12 (although I got the Japanese version, with Japanese text).

All up, with eBay's promotion today, I got 8 games for ~$100. I would've been able to buy 2, maybe 3 games if I bought local.

I bought:
Balloon Fight (NES)
Ice Climber (NES)
RC Pro Am (NES)
Donkey Kong Country 1 (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
Super Bomberman 2 (SNES)
Panel de Pon (SNES)

The NES games made up more than half the cost, but are classics and not exactly cheap domestically either.

I really need to have work fund a trip to the US for  a week, so I can buy a whole heap on Amazon and get it delivered domestically. Or go myself for a gaming spending spree.

No comments: