Char Kway Teow, without the char...

I'll be the first to admit that I love food. I'm not sure if I love eating or cooking it more. Whilst I mainly draw inspiration from European cuisine, I thought I'd try something a little closer to home, especially after seeing a relatively simple recipe on a Food Safari trailer on SBS.

With a quick shop of ingredients and everything chopped and prepared, I made a batch of noodles. And how did it turn out? From a taste perspective, it wasn't bad but I would not call it Char Kway Teow. It did not have what the Cantonese call "wok hei" (have a look on Wikipedia). I don't believe that wok hei is derived simply from heat, as I had Mum's trusty (and well seasoned) wok on the point of smoking... it must be the amount of oil and the type of oil used too... I could be wrong though...

My version of Char Kway Teow (ok I'll stop calling it that) definitely is less greasy, but it just isn't the same.

No comments: