eBay enforcing Paypal ... good and bad

Anyone who sells stuff on eBay in Australia will know about the new rules that are supposed to come into play soon, where Paypal can only be used (apart from COD) for payment. Whilst this raises questions of double dipping (and eBay/Paypal could easily get around this by not charging fees for eBay auctions, they already know where the transactions came from), there is one upside to all of this.

Enforcing payment immediately! The last couple of months, I've sold a few things, namely XBox 360 stuff as I no longer have a need for it. Out of 5 auctions (or buy it nows), 2 have been late payment. 1 has been sorted, the other has a dispute open. The reason for this is because they checkout saying they will do bank transfer but don't end up doing it for however long, probably cos they have no money.

Now whenever I use eBay, I pay straight away because I want the item straight away. And I know, selling video game equipment probably means I'm selling to some 10 year old kid who needs to save up his pocket money. But it shits me when people do not read auction rules which state payment within 7 days. With Paypal enforcement a possibility, sellers at least can get their money straight away, even if it is 2.4% + 30c per transaction less.....

No comments: