No promotion

Today, I finally got to speak with my functional manager to discuss how I was progressing. Whilst I met most of the required competencies, there was a group of them which I didn't meet. Unfortunately, I am not able to be promoted until I beef up these skills.

And this is where the problem lies. In order to build skills in this area, I need to spend some time in a different project area, an area which currently has no available positions. Not only this, but my superior (who wants to be promoted to Senior) also requires time in the same area. I highly doubt that we both will get shifted across which means one of us will have to wait if/when a position arises.

It's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario. Can't get promoted cos I'm missing some skills, but I cannot get those skills cos there's no positions. It's bullshit if you ask me... I know I should be grateful to have a job but I was quietly confident of having the required ratings (required ratings are kept secret) and am disappointed that it's probably going to be another 6 to 12 months before I get off pleb status.

No comments: